H-1B Petition Requirements for Hiring Departments
Please complete and submit the documentation in the order listed below. The order is dictated by the U.S. government processing times. All steps need to be completed by the deadlines stated below (unless otherwise stated in the H-1B initiation email).
Please note that WVU does not sponsor part-time H-1Bs.
Step 1: H-1B Wage (must be completed within 2 weeks of case initiation email)
Submit all H-1B wage documentation to assigned Case Manager.
- H-1B Employment-Position Information Form
- Copies of all the advertisements as it appeared in the publications
- Comparable Employees Form (Revised March 2017)
- Guidelines for Determining Actual Wage (Revised December 2016)
- Practice for Setting Entry Salaries Form (Revised December 2016)
Step 2: Deemed Export Attestation (must be completed within 4 weeks of case initiation email)
The hiring department must apply for a Deemed Export Attestation. ISSS will not submit the H-1B petition to USCIS until it has received a Deemed Export Attestation from the Export Control Office. Please follow the application instructions below:
For detailed instructions or questions about applying for a Deemed Export Attestation, please refer to the Export Control Office at WVU here - http://exportcontrol.wvu.edu
To apply for a Deemed Export Attestation submit the following documentation to the Export Control Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed WVU Deemed Export Verification for Non-Immigrant Visas Form (form is available in the section “Hire a Non-immigrant Worker or Visiting Scholar”)
- Copy of alien’s CV
- Copy of alien’s passport identity page
- Copy of offer/invitation letter/job description
Step 3: Other required documentation (must be completed within 4 weeks of case initiation email)
Submit the following documentation to assigned Case Manager.
- Copy of signed offer letter (by department and foreign national) on department letterhead
- Appendix I on letterhead with original signature
- Acknowledgement Form for Change or End in Employment
- Copies of Diplomas/Certificates of degree(s) required for the position
- Copy of Official Transcripts for required degree(s)
- Credential Evaluation if the required degree(s) has been obtained outside the US
- FedEx/UPS account number for mailing the H-1B petition to USCIS
- H-1B Support Letter in duplicate original
Step 4: H-1B Petition Fees (must be completed within 4 weeks of case initiation email)
Submit documentation below to assigned Case Manager.
H-1B petition fees are the
responsibility of the hiring department and need to be handled requested
through Mountaineer MarketPlace.
- Note: checks for physicians (dual appointment with UHA) must go through the UHA check request process
- Basic Fee: $460
- Anti-Fraud Fee: $500.00 (only for initial petitions/NEW hires)
- Premium Processing: $2,500