Skip to main content

U.S. Permanent Residency

Permanent Residency Sponsorship Guidelines for Teaching Positions

When recruiting or hiring for teaching positions who are expected to teach, Labor Certification is the first step toward a permanent residency (Green Card). Labor Certification teaching cases receive “special handling” which is described in the Department of Labor (DOL) rules currently codified at 20 C.F.R. Section 656.18.

Labor Certification applications for positions requiring teaching may be filed if there are no available U.S. workers who are better qualified than the alien (i.e. the alien must emerge as the most qualified applicant in order to become eligible for the filing of a Labor Certification).

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Labor Certification must be filed within 18 months of the selection date (date offer letter has been issued).

International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS) will submit applications for Labor Certification to the Department of Labor upon receipt of the required documentation listed in link above.

Permanent Residency Sponsorship Guidelines for Non-Teaching Positions

The University must comply with significant pre-filing requirements before ISSS can file the Labor Certification/Form 9089 with the Department of Labor (DOL). Please contact one of our immigration specialists for further information before proceeding with the permanent residency application.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Labor Certification must be filed within 180 days of the first advertisement having been placed.