Skip to main content

Background Image for Header:

Student Employment

F-1 and J-1 Student On-Campus Employment

All in-status F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to engage in part-time work on-campus. It is not necessarily difficult to find student jobs, and the best places to look are the Computer Labs, the Libraries, and Dining Services. It is also possible that various academic departments have non-federal jobs. Student employment is only available to students in good standing with the university. US regulation limits employment to 20 hours per week on-campus while school is in session, 40 hours on-campus otherwise.

Before processing for payroll, international students must receive a job offer from a campus department. International students with a Social Security number can call to schedule an appointment with the Tax Services unit located at One Waterfront Place at 304-293-3379, ext. 3 or

International students without a Social Security number must get an Employment Letter before applying for a number (see information at Social Security Card.)

U.S. Immigration Regulations (8 C.F.R. § 214.2(f)(9)(i) state that on-campus employment must not exceed 20 hours a week while school is in session. Violation will result in immediate termination of student’s legal status in the US.

F-1 Off-Campus Employment Based on Severe Economic Hardship

Permission to work off campus is possible for reasons of economic hardship if on-campus employment is not sufficient. Economic hardship means extreme financial problems caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control, such as loss of a graduate assistantship, loss of financial sponsorship, or severe inflation or devaluation of currency in the home country. Students considering applying for economic hardship should come and speak to a staff member in ISSS.


To be eligible to apply for off-campus employment authorization due to severe economic hardship, you must:

  1. Have been an F-1 student for one full academic year
  2. Be in good academic standing and pursuing a full course of study
  3. Demonstrate that acceptance of employment will not interfere with your study
  4. Demonstrate that the severe economic hardship is due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control and demonstrate that on-campus employment is unavailable or insufficient.

For additional information and application instructions, go to

Students who get approved and receive an employment authorization card (EAD), are required to:

  1. Provide a copy of the EAD card to ISSS
  2. Obtain an updated I-20/DS2019 with the employment information annotated.

Additional Information Concerning Worker's Rights

Know Your Rights (Wilberforce Pamphlet) from the Department of State. An information pamphlet describing your rights while working in the United States.