Skip to main content

B-1 & Visa Waiver (VW) Visitors

B-1 Visitors for "Business." The B-1 visa permits persons to come to the US to engage in short-term, temporary professional activities related to their employment abroad; for example, consulting with peers, participating in conferences or seminars, lecturing or speaking, training, and independent research that provides no benefit to a US institution.

Permissible Academic Activities

  • Lecturing/Guest Teaching
  • Conduct Independent Research
  • Attend Conferences
  • Medical Observation
  • Medical Clerkship

Incidental Expenses/Remuneration

A temporary business visitor may not receive a salary from a US source for services rendered in connection with his or her activities in the United States. A US source, however, may provide the temporary business visitor with an expense allowance or reimbursement for expenses incidental to the temporary stay. Incidental expenses may not exceed the actual reasonable expenses the temporary business visitor will incur in traveling to and from the event, together with the living expenses the temporary business visitor reasonably can be expected to incur for meals, lodging, laundry, and other basic services.


A temporary business visitor may accept an honorarium payment and associated incidental expenses for usual academic activities if:

  1. The activities last no longer than nine days at any single institution or organization;
  2. The payment is offered by an institution or organization described in INA 212(p);
  3. The honorarium is for services conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and
  4. The temporary business visitor has not accepted such payment or expenses from more than five institutions or organizations over the last six months

Deemed Export Control

The WVU host must complete the one-step International Visitor Registration Form two weeks in advance of the B-1 so the ECO can determine if the temporary business visitor is on a federal restricted party list, associated with a restricted entity, or if there are other export control concerns related to the visit.

Additional Information Concerning Worker's Rights

Know Your Rights (Wilberforce Pamphlet) from the Department of State. An information pamphlet describing your rights while working in the United States.