Background Image for Header:
Inviting B-1 & Visa Waiver (VW) Visitors
B-1 Visitors for "Business" (and Visa Waiver)
The B-1 business category is not appropriate for visitors engaging in collaborative research with WVU faculty or research which will benefit the University in any way. If collaborative research is involved or the University will benefit from the research, a J-1 visa should be requested. To do so, please visit: http://oiss.wvu.edu/info-for-departments/j-1-scholars-information-for-departments. If you are unsure which visa would be appropriate, please direct your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Permissible Academic Activities
- Lecturing/Guest Teaching
- Conduct Independent Research
- Attend Conferences
- Medical Observation
- Medical Clerkship
A temporary business visitor may not receive a salary from a US source for services rendered in connection with his or her activities in the United States. A US source, however, may provide the temporary business visitor with an expense allowance or reimbursement for expenses incidental to the temporary stay. Incidental expenses may not exceed the actual reasonable expenses the temporary business visitor will incur in traveling to and from the event, together with the living expenses the temporary business visitor reasonably can be expected to incur for meals, lodging, laundry, and other basic services.
A temporary business visitor may accept an honorarium payment and associated incidental expenses for usual academic activities if:
- The activities last no longer than nine days at any single institution or organization;
- Payment is offered by an institution or organization describes in INA 212(p);
- The honorarium is for services conducted for the benefit of the institution or entity; and
- The temporary business visitor has not accepted such payment or expenses from more than five institutions or organizations over the last six months.
To invite a B-1 visitor, the following documentation needs to be submitted to ISSS:
- To complete, submit the form to the Export Control Office at
email@example.com and copy it to firstname.lastname@example.org. (For Medical Clerkships, please also
copy email@example.com, HSC Immigration and Global Engagement
- The WVU host must notify the WVU Export Control Office
at least two weeks
in advance of the B-1 visit, so the ECO can determine if the temporary
business visitor is on a federal restricted party list, associated
with a restricted entity, or if there are other export control concerns
related to the visit.