Skip to main content
  • Home
  • Scholars & Faculty

Scholars & Faculty

Travel Information for Specific Visa Types

J-1 visa holders

Make sure you get your DS-2019 endorsed with a travel signature by ISSS staff prior to travel. If your sponsor is an institution other than WVU, you must contact your sponsoring institution for a travel signature.

H-1B & O-1 visa holders

Make sure you have the following documentation for your travel

  • Travel package (given to you at time of H-1B/O-1 orientation)
  • Employment verification letter from hiring department
  • Copies of your W-2 & pay stubs from two months prior to your travel

Note: If your case is in process with ISSS or pending decision with USCIS, please contact our office before making travel plans.

IMPORTANT for all international scholars traveling abroad: access the Export Control Office website for several important issues to keep in mind before traveling to a foreign country. For any questions, please contact the Export Control Office at

Please also check out our International Visitors Resources Page for information about Morgantown and WVU.

Medical Residents

The West Virginia University School of Medicine is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and is a participating member of the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP), Postdoctoral Application Support Service, and other advanced residency matching programs.

All graduates of foreign medical schools must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Graduates (ECFMG). All alien foreign graduates must meet all VISA Qualifying Examination or Foreign Medical Graduate Exam in the Medical Sciences requirement prior to application. For the details of application and procedure visit the West Virginia University School of Medicine.